Deep breathes. This is hard (and important) work.
- How did they die? Is it just me or is anyone else left feeling extremely curious about how someone died? Why don’t traditional obituaries include this? Why can’t we talk about that?
- What is a hilarious/endearing idiosyncrasy of theirs?
- What were they really good at? Or what did they enjoy doing, regardless of how successful they were at it?
- How did they hurt you? How has this hurt impacted your life?
- What mistakes did they make?
- What happened to them that led to reactionary or poor decision making?
- What have you learned from them, positive or negative?
- What do you wish they did differently? What do you wish you did differently?
- Do you think you have the ability to eventually be at peace with them, and if so how might you go about getting there?
- Are you interested in getting to a place of peace?
- How are you right now, really?
Again, these questions are meant as a jumping off point. Use what's helpful, toss what's not. When you're ready, head over to the Write an Honest Obit pageText Link